They sneak up on you when you least expect it. Whether you’re outside walking your dog, inside reading a book or getting a good night’s sleep, you can become an easy meal for mosquitoes. These tiny pests are always on the prowl, and while their bites can drive you insane, the health risks are even more worrisome.
Mosquito control and prevention is especially essential in places where these insects can transmit diseases like the West Nile virus and equine encephalitis. Half of the Sunshine State is covered in muck, marl or other saturated soils, making it the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. In Florida, mosquito control and prevention is usually needed for the salt marsh mosquito since this species has large populations all around the coast.
There are many mosquito prevention tactics you can utilize to lessen the probability of mosquitoes breeding near your home, including:
- Throw out any standing water you may have in rain gutters, buckets, toys or old tires. These containers can become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- If you have bird baths, fountains, wading pools or potted plant trays, change the water every week to eliminate any potential mosquito habitat.
- Treat and circulate swimming pool water
- Fill any temporary pool of water with dirt
Along with taking steps yourself, trust the experts at Tri-S Pest Control Service to eradicate mosquitos in ways an individual homeowner cannot. We have a large number of methods for mosquito control and prevention to also keep the mosquitoes at bay:
- Larvicide—this mosquito control and prevention method attacks during the larvae stage of the insect. Mosquito eggs are deposited on damp soil and when rain reaches them, the eggs will hatch and become larvae. The larvae will live in the water pools waiting to become pupae. They live by feeding off of organisms on the pool’s surface. That’s why we spray our mosquito control and prevention substance onto the water; the larvicide creates a layer on the surface and prevents the larvae from breathing. This mosquito control and prevention substance is typically sprayed on flower pots, bird baths, ditches and other potential breeding grounds.
- Perimeter Treatments—this is a proven mosquito prevention and control method. This acts as a mosquito control because it attacks the mosquitoes where they are most vulnerable. It also acts as mosquito prevention because it treats shrubs, trees, the perimeters around structures, porches and lanai where they could create breeding grounds.
Tri-S Pest Control Service has specialized in mosquito control and prevention, plus other pest control practices, for more than 20 years. Call us today at (813)936-5850 or 1-800-410-5850 to learn more about our mosquito prevention or mosquito control programs.